A number of design concepts for the SKA are now in the pathfinder and demonstration phase; the final SKA
SKA industry interaction basics
The international SKA project, and its associated national and regional consortia programs, welcomes interest from potential industry partners. In general terms any joint research and development is viewed as a shared-risk endeavour, with SKA consortia and industry each contributing to defined activities. In some countries industry may benefit from offset or government funding programs.
Advantages of early stage collaboration
Some benefits of joint R&D with the SKA community are:
- The opportunity to grow and hone the creative energies of the best professionals in an imaginative project whose aim is no less than to chart the history of the Universe;
- The ability to perfect leading-edge techniques and products in a very demanding application and to interact with highly technologically sophisticated users;
- The ability to generate and share information with other R&D partners – both institutional and industrial – in a benign and commercially non-threatening environment;
- The visibility flowing from association with an innovative, high profile, international mega-science project; and
- The potential for early involvement and favourable positioning in a huge global science project project spanning a wide range of engineering and computing disciplines.
Stages in engagement
The SKA project plan contains a number of key dates, each of which is relevant to commercial entities interested in the project. A list of historical and future dates and potential opportunities around these times are shown in the table below.
|2012-2013||SPDO becomes SKA Organisation and finalises baseline design and costed system.
Site recommendation by the SSEC
|Based on input and experience from industry|
|2013-17||Detailed SKA design and production engineering||Tooling, prototype and fabrication opportunities|
Preparation of tenders and contracts for SKA construction
|2018-2023||Construction of SKA phase 1||Maximum industry involvement at levels of final design, project management, and construction contracts and sub-contracts|
|2018-2012||SKA Phase 2 detailed design||Industry opportunities in design|
|2023||SKA Phase 1 complete||Continuing operations and maintenance role for industry|